What Can Cause Muscle Spasms In The Back
Muscle spasm is defined as an involuntary contraction in a muscle due to a combination of causes that include: a lack of certain mineral salts in the blood, such as calcium and magnesium, metabolic dysfunction in diabetics, low blood flow to the affected muscle, or stress in exercise Or as a side effect of some medications. This is often accompanied by severe pain, which requires immediate treatment of the condition with a commitment to rest for some time. In the following, we will inform you of some of these methods that relieve the pain of spasm of the back muscles.
What Can Cause Muscle Spasms In The Back
There is no biological explanation for muscle spasms, and most cramps are considered harmless. But some are caused by medical problems.
• Lack of minerals in the body. Lack of adequate calcium, potassium or magnesium can lead to cramps in the muscles. Also some diuretics can cause imbalances in the body’s minerals and thus contribute to muscle spasms.
• Nerve compression: The compression of nerves in the spine can cause pain in the back, buttocks or in the leg. The more you try to walk, the greater the pain. The pain stops as soon as you stop walking.
• Hardening of the arteries: The imbalance in the flow of blood circulation due to tightness in the arteries can increase the risk of exposure to muscle spasms.
Back Spasms Treatment Tips
Back spasms generally heal on their own, but some procedures can be used to relieve pain and accelerate recovery from those annoying and painful contractions.
• First, the overall health of the body must be improved to avoid exposure to muscle contraction. Exercise regularly and always warm up and do stretches before starting any exercise.
• Eat a balanced diet that includes lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.
• Musculoskeletal musculature. Stretching that muscle and gently massage it can soften the muscle and help remove the contractions.
• Drink plenty of water and fluids to moisturize the body and restore balance to the level of minerals in it. But avoid sports drinks that contain a lot of sugar because they aggravate the pain.
• Take vitamin tablets, especially those containing zinc and magnesium, especially if back spasm is caused by a lack of minerals or vitamins.
• Apply cold compresses to the muscle in pain to relieve inflammation and relax the muscle.
• Rub the muscle with some analgesic ointment to relieve pain and relax the muscle.
• Wear comfortable shoes and be careful while wearing high heels.
What Can Cause Muscle Spasms In The Back To Be Relieved
4 Home Remedies To Relieve Back Spasms
Put some fresh ginger, a small amount of lukewarm water in a pan over medium heat, leave to boil, strain it in a clean cloth and apply it to the back area of pain. Repeat this recipe three times a day In order to get the best results.
2- Hot compresses
Back spasms can be alleviated by using hot compresses, applied to the affected area, and left for 14 minutes until the pain disappears, and then place cold compresses or ice cubes and leave it for about 20 other minutes. The use of cold water instead of warm water bags gives better results.
3- Raise the feet
Lifting the feet from the level of the body reduces the spasm, and relaxes the body, so put some pillows under your feet while lying down, and put them on a chair or on the pillows to keep the knees bend by ninety degrees, A few minutes until we notice an improvement.
4- Lots Of Liquids
Back spasms often occur due to dehydration or loss of some minerals. Therefore, you should be careful to take adequate amounts of water and fluids, especially in warm weathers, or when you are vomiting or feverious.
What Can Cause Muscle Spasms In The Back To Get Worse?
- Sleeping on cold or thermal bags on the back, as they can cause frostbites, nerve damage or burns.
- Placing compresses or cold bags directly on the skin, you rather put some kind of a barrier between them, for example; a piece of cloth.
- Getting back to exercise while you are still taking the muscle relaxant medications. Exercising in this case will aggravate the pain.
- Mixing medications and painkillers with alcohol, because it may have negative side effects destroy the liver.